European Commission Expert Group on Social Entrepreneurship (GECES)
The Social Business Initiative Communication states that "the Commission … shall … set up a consultative multi-stakeholder group on social business to examine the progress of the measures envisaged in this Communication … this group could be made up of representatives of the Member States, local authorities, social entrepreneurs' organisations, the banking and finance sector and the academic and university sector."
The group (GECES) was therefore set up for 6 years (2012 – 2017), and will be consulted by the Commission, on the opportunity, development, setting up and implementation of all the actions mentioned in the SBI, or further development of social entrepreneurship and social economy.
ENSIE director (Patrizia Bussi) as well as other representatives of ENSIE's members (Judith Puerhinger, Dolores Korces) were part of the first round of expert of the group. ENSIE team keeps participating in the GECES meetings as an observer.
The GECES meetings
- Thirteenth meeting (5/12/2017)
- Twelfth meeting (27/04/2017)
- Eleventh meeting (14/10/2016)
- Tenth meeting (30/06/2016)
- Nineth meeting (14/04/2016)
- Eighth meeting (24/11/2015)
- Seventh meeting (16/09/2015)
- Sixth meeting (17-18/11/2014)
- Fifth meeting (10-11/06/2014)
- Fourth meeting (28/11/2013)
- Third meeting (06/06/2013)
- Second meeting (27/11/2012)
- First meeting (5/06/2012)
More information on these meetings on the European Commission dedicated page.
30/11/2016-1/12/2016 - CONFERENCE ON SOCIAL ECONOMY AND SOCIAL ENTERPRISES
This conference on social economy as a key player in providing answers to current societal challenges was organised under the Slovak Presidency of the Council of the EU by the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic, in cooperation with the European Commission, in Bratislava, Slovakia.
The Bratislava Declaration on social economy as a key player in providing answers to current societal challenges was adopted at the conference by Cyprus, Slovenia, Romania, Italy, Slovak Republic, Luxembourg, Spain, Czech Republic, France and Greece.
5/07/2016 - GECES Letter to presidend Juncker
ENSIE supports the request from the European Commission Expert Group on Social Entrepreneurship (GECES) members to incorporate social enterprises and social economy as a priority of the European Commission Work Programme 2017. View the GECES letter to President Juncker. You can also find it on the GECES website (on the 10th meeting webpage), in order everyone to be able to refer to it if needed. You can also retweet @SocEntEU!
6/12/2016 - GECES report on Social Economy and Social Enterprises
GECES report 'Social enterprises and the social economy going forward - A call for action from the Commission Expert Group on Social Entrepreneurship (GECES)' is now available online. This report proposes key recommendations to support the growth of social enterprises and social economy.
More information on the report on DG Growth website.
Sub-group on social impact measurement
Patrizia Bussi was also involved in the sub-group on social impact measurement.
The Single Market Act II states that “the Commission will develop a methodology to measure the socio-economic benefits created by social enterprises. The development of rigorous and systematic measurements of social enterprises’ impact on the community … is essential to demonstrate that the money invested in social enterprises yields high savings and income”. The GECES sub-group was therefore set up in October 2012 to agree upon a European methodology which could be applied across the European social economy.
On 3 June 2014, the GECES adopted the sub-group report (also available in DE, ES, FR, IT, PL) in a vote via a formal written procedure. An absolute majority (39 out of 72 members) explicitly voted 'yes'. There was one 'no' vote. It was mentioned in the call for the vote the non-expression of a position would be considered as an implicit vote in favour of the adoption of the report.
- Member list, Explanatory note and Mandate
- Sub-group report (also available in DE, ES, FR, IT, PL)
- Seven Guidelines For Good Impact Measurement Practice (1 MB), September 2014
- Opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee on Social Impact Investment, 11 September 2014
- Social Impact measurement – considerations on the report by the GECES sub-group , 10 June 2014 (108 kB)
- Follow-up to the Report produced by GECES sub-group , 10 June 2014 (743 kB)
- Report to the GECES of 28 November 2013 (2 MB)
- Presentation of the report to the GECES of 28 November 2013 (175 kB)
- Opinion of the European Economic and Social Committee on Social impact measurement, 10 October 2013
- Meetings of the Social Impact Measurement Sub-group
ENSIE Contribution to the Social Business Initiative
2011 - Consultation 'The Social Business Initiative: Promoting Social Investment Funds'
2013 - Joint note 'ENSIE-Social Platform' concerning art 17 of the public procurement directive proposal - reserved contracts, presented during the GECES meeting 6/06
2014 - ENSIE attends the European conference "Social entrepreneurs: Have Your Say!" and produce a Press Release on the Declaration of Strasbourg.